Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Skunk Hunt: Part 3

You know you have no life when it takes you a week and a half to post something you've already written.  But, better late than never:



Field. Deputy and Veterinarian in back of pickup. Veterinarian is shining floodlight across field as Deputy scans with bolt action rifle.

Veterinarian: “There's a lot of fields in this area. What are the chances it'll show up in this one?”

Deputy: “Well, we can't cover them all. This is the closest to Chicken Farmer's place and past that is Dairy Farmer's. If the skunk doubles back, we'll be right in line.”

Veterinarian: “You said your dad left. What happened to him?”

Deputy: “Well, you remember how he worked at Kilowatts Bar?”

Veterinarian: “I think I remember something about that.”

Deputy: “Well, right after we graduated, there was an investigation. There had been a small spill, and he had just flushed it into the river and then paid off an inspector to look the other way. They found out about it, and one day he just hopped into his lifted and loud yellow pickup and drove off.”

Veterinarian: “You mean...”

Deputy: “Yes. I think my dad caused all of this!”

Veterinarian: “And you said your mom died of cancer?”

Deputy: “Yes. He killed her, too!”

Veterinarian: “Oh, Deputy, why didn't you tell me?”

Deputy: “Because I knew you'd come back, and I couldn't take you away from a chance at success!”

Veterinarian: “Oh, I'm so sorry! I've been a horrible childhood flame!”

Deputy holds Veterinarian.

Deputy: “It's okay. We're going to fix this whole mess. Starting with killing this nocturnal freak. I just hope Sheriff and Dairy Farmer don't get it first.”

Other field.

Sheriff: “See anything?”

Dairy Farmer: “Nope.”

Sheriff: “I still can't believe I agreed to let you in on this. Or that I let my girl go to a dark deserted field with Deputy.”

Dairy Farmer: “I deserve to have a shot at this. Chicken Farmer was my brother! And face it, those two are in love.”

Sheriff: “Do you hear that?”

Dairy Farmer: “Hear what?”

PETA People runs from tree-line.

PETA chick A: “HEEELLLLPPPP!!!!”

Sheriff: “Hey! That's Ditsy Intern!”

PETA chick A jumps into bed of pickup. Dairy Farmer spins to aim rifle into woods. PETA chick B and PETA guy 1 burst out of tree-line with Skunk hard on their heels.

Skunk: “AAARRRR!!!!”

PETA guy 1: “AAAHHHH!!!!!”

PETA chick B: “AAAHHHH!!!!!”

Skunk lunges and swipes PETA chick B in the back, impaling her with claws. PETA guy 1 makes it to the truck. Dairy Farmer jumps out of truck bed and charges toward Skunk, shooting.

Sheriff: “Dairy Farmer, ya damned fool! Get back here!”

Skunk bites PETA chick B’s head off, then flings corpse into woods. As Dairy Farmer charges, Skunk decapitates him with a backhand. Sheriff jumps out of truck and grabs PETA guy 1.

Sheriff: “Get her out of here! I’ll hold it off!”

PETA chick A: “Don't kill it! Giant mutant carnivorous mammals are people, too!”

PETA guy 1: “Now you're just screwin' with me.”

Sheriff shoves PETA guy 1 into cab and grabs pump shotgun. PETA guy tries to get truck into gear while Sheriff makes dramatic stand behind truck.

Sheriff: “Take that, you stinking bastard!”

Skunk turns tail toward Sheriff and truck.

Sheriff: “I said get out of here!”

PETA guy 1: “I don’t know how to drive stick! My Prius is an automatic!”

PETA chick A: “Seriously? Move over!”

PETA chick A gets truck into gear and tears off as Skunk sprays Sheriff, melting his face off. Overspray hits tailgate of truck and starts burning holes in it.

PETA pair drive through field, Skunk in hot pursuit. They reach the road and Skunk abruptly stops. As they drive off, acid eats through tires and the skid off road into field on other side.

PETA guy 1: “BAIL!!!”

PETA pair jump from moving truck. Truck drives into tree and promptly explodes.


Other field. Deputy and Veterinarian’s watch has devolved into making out. Mushroom cloud from truck flashes over tree-line.

Deputy: “Holy crap!”

Veterinarian: “What was that?”

Deputy: “Some kind of explosion. We’d better go check it out.”

Deputy jumps out of bed and climbs into cab. Veterinarian starts redressing.

Veterinarian (muttering): “I’m never getting screwed again at this rate.”

Deputy and Veterinarian drive to other field. They spot PETA pair and drive over.

Veterinarian: “Ditzy Intern! You bitch! You destroyed my shelter!”

PETA guy 1: “Ditzy Intern? Who's that?”

Deputy: “That's not her real name?”

PETA guy 1: “No, her name's PETA chick A.”

Deputy: “Alright, what happened out there?”

PETA guy 1: “Giant skunk. Killed our friends. Chased us into the field. The sheriff and some farmer were there in a truck. The farmer went after it. The sheriff stayed behind and told us to run. They're dead!”

Veterinarian: “Daddy? Dead? NOOOOOO!!!!!!”

Veterinarian clings to Deputy as he tried to comfort her.

Deputy: “That's it. I'm gonna get this thing or die trying.”

Veterinarian: “No! I don't want to lose you, too.”

Deputy: “I'm sorry, but there's a wild carnivorous mutant running around my town, and I'm the only law left. Incidentally, PETA pair, how'd you two escape?”

PETA chick 1: “It stopped at the road. It looked scared. According to my animal psych class, it may be due to a traumatic experience in its past. Perhaps the poor creature's mother was squished.”

PETA guy A: “Look, sir, I don't know much about weapons, but I think you're going to need a bigger gun.”

Deputy: “Nah, just need better placement. And I know just the guy.”


Deputy approaches cabin in woods.

Deputy: “Estranged Father!”

Estranged Father charges out onto porch with shotgun, obviously drunk.

Estranged Father: “How'd you find me? I came out here to be alone.”

Deputy: “It wasn't easy.”

Estranged Father: “Well, what'd'ya want?”

Deputy: “Your negligence at Kilowatts Bar killed Mom and shamed our family.”

Estranged Father: “I know that. Why do you think I spend my days getting hammered?”

Deputy: “It's killed another 5 in the last week.”

Estranged Father: “Five? In the last week? What'd'ya mean?”

Deputy: “A baby skunk got into the waste. It's grown about 20 feet long and sprays acid.”

Estranged Father: “I don't believe you.”

Veterinarian steps out of truck.

Veterinarian: “I don't care if you believe it. It's true. And one of the people you got killed was my father!”

Estranged Father: “Sheriff's dead?”

Deputy: “Yes. And you need to make it right!”

Estranged Father: “How am I supposed to do that?”

Deputy: “You were the best poacher our county ever saw. I remember the old men at the barber shop calling you 'Deer-eye'.”

Estranged Father: “That was before. I don't do that anymore. I live off moonshining when I don't drink it all.”

Deputy: “Well, you can give it a shot, or I can turn you over to the feds that've been looking for you for the last decade.”

Estranged Father: “Well, when you put it that way...”

Deputy: “Look, I brought you something.”

Deputy reaches into back seat and withdraws an obviously old bolt action rifle.

Estranged Father: “You kept Matilda?”

Deputy: “Of course I did. It was the only thing you left us.”

Estranged Father: “Are you sure? I could have sworn I left you an old guitar. And possibly a bottle of booze.”

Deputy: “It was empty.”

Insert montage of Estranged Father sobering/cleaning up and practicing shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment