Friday, September 30, 2011

The 3rd girl

At 0749, 09/28/2011, the third of my eponymous three women officially made her appearance.  It was interesting to hold her for the first time, but the whole "life-changing moment" thing is a bit overstated.

I'm sure a fair amount of that has to do with having a severe sleep deficiency.  Probably the whole working the second day, and running all over the place the third part had something to do with it, too.  Or maybe I just have ice water in my veins.  I have it on good authority (I Love The 80's!:  Strikes Back) that is the case with anyone who doesn't cry during Field of Dreams.

Beyond that, though, it's that we'd already had a name (for longer than she's been around), been talking to her all the time, getting to see her twice a week, showing off her pictures and enjoying making her roll around and kick.  Well, I liked the last part, anyway; the beloved was a little annoyed by it at times.  Frankly, she was more interactive before she was born.  She used to perk up and squirm when I talked to her.  Now all she does is sleep, poop, and cry (thankfully not that much of the latter).  And while I didn't think I would ever say it, she really does look like the ultrasounds.

I think we get 9 months to come to grips with the end of the world as we know it (Leonard Bernstein!), and if you use it to get up to speed, there's not as much whiplash to it.

Or maybe it just doesn't hit you until diaper number twenty.

3 comments:

  1. Fatherhood..... I think you actually just got me a little excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, read the next post before making that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'll be glad when she gets interactive again too. Although she is at least looking at some stuff now, even if it's not us.

    ReplyDelete