Saturday, September 24, 2011

Old post

The start of my affair with Theseia:


New Jeep

July 5, 2009 at 1:22 am


I've just got in from my shakedown cruise with the Jeep of Theseus. It was without a doubt the most laughably miserable shakedown cruise of my life, and that includes the Lake Superior voyage of the Argos.


I started out with the safari top configuration, which was fine for the first 20-30 minutes, at which point it decided to come out from underneath the little track on the driver's side rear. So I pull over and pull the top down. Which, by the way, was really fun.

Continuing on, I reach the bottom of the mountain, at which point I start noticing sprinkles on the windshield. So I pull over again, and put the top up. But by the time I'm done, the sprinkling is no more, so I do not put the top halves of the doors or the side and rear windows on.


Big mistake. About a mile past the Cumberland county line, more sprinkle start to show up, and they turn to rain, which proceeds to get heavier.  At first I think the windshield wipers will take care of things, then realize they do nothing for the inside. Now, I'm driving with my head out the door watching the center line and trying to keep from crossing into the other lane or pt it in the ditch.


Eventually I find a place to again pull over, put the top halves of the doors on, take my top T-shirt off and wipe the inside down. Then, once home, I have to put the rest of the top back together in the pouring rain.


But, the Jeep is still a winner. Even if it's owner's fortune is not.

1 comment:

  1. You sure you don't want to say this is life with three women and two gender neutral dogs?

    ReplyDelete