Thursday, October 31, 2013

Spants III: Spanthopper

Happy Halloween to all!
Once again, it is time for the latest installment in my epically cliched, hackneyed, yet thoroughly enjoyable B scifi series.  Soon to be a major motion picture if I can ever get the number for the people who produced Sharknado.
And links for the previous episodes, Spants and Spants II:  Sproach.


Spants III:  Spanthopper

Corn field
Small crop duster flies over field. It banks to make another pass. Zoom to cockpit where Farmer C flicks a switch. Camera pans out to tail as insecticide starts to pour from tail. Camera zooms out as Farmer C makes next pass. Below, grass rustles.
Farmer C: “What the—“


Spants III: Spanthopper


Small pond
Farmer A and Sheriff sit on shore watching bobbers. Sheriff appears morose. Small plane from opening sequence flies overhead.
Farmer A: “There goes Farmer C.”
Sheriff: “Yep.”
Farmer A: “Not much biting today, I guess.”
Sheriff: “Nope.”
Farmer A: “Don’t matter I suppose, I didn’t just bring you down here to fish.”
Sheriff: “I figured.”
Farmer A: “You’ve been hiding in that bottle ever since Teacher died in a horrific, yet convenient car accident last year.”
Sheriff: “It was my fault! I busted Redneck B fourteen times for DUI! I should have made sure his license got pulled permanently!”
Farmer A: “He was driving on a suspended license anyway. Do you really think pulling it would have done any good? You have to stop blaming yourself.”
Smoke appears in distance. Farmer A and Sheriff jump to their feet.
Farmer A: “Was that Farmer C’s plane?”
Sheriff: “Call the hospital!”


Hospital
Doctor: “I’m afraid there was nothing we could do. He likely died instantly. The only thing I can say is he probably didn’t suffer.”
Farmer C’s widow: “Sorry if I don’t find that particularly comforting. Especially with the crop failing and the bank about to foreclose.”
Slutty Research Assistant’s sister from Spants bursts into room.
Sheriff: “What are you doing here?”
Doctor: “Off-hand, I’d guess her career didn’t go as she had hoped.”
Sister: “Later. Widow, is there anything I can do to help?”
Widow: “It’s enough just having you here, dearie.”


Outside hospital
Sister: “I heard about the wreck. Widow and I were close. I came to see if I could help.”
Sheriff: “That’s it?”
Sister: “No. The reason I left is that I was scared. My psychologist said I needed to come back to face my fears.”
Sheriff: “Well, in your absence we killed most of them. And I go hunting for them every couple months. I haven’t found any this year.”
Sister: “We have to check that field.”


Field at night
Sister and Sheriff sneak through grass.
Sheriff: “You broke my heart you know.”
Sister: “I’m sorry. It’s just that every time I drove past the college, all I could think about was my sister.”
Sheriff: “Shh! Did you hear that?
Grass rustles.
Sister: “No.”
Grass rustles more.
Sister: “I didn’t hear than either.”
Sheriff draws revolver.
Sheriff: “I don’t like this.”
Men in black fatigues burst from the corn. A helicopter appears overhead with a spotlight blinding the two.
Soldier 1: “On the ground! On the ground!”
Soldier 2: “Drop the weapon! Drop the weapon!”
Sister and Sheriff comply.
Soldier 3: “You’re coming with us.”


Mobile Command Center
Sheriff: “Is it just me, or is this center bigger on the inside?”
General: “The technology was a gift from some British friends. Torch-something institute.”
Sheriff: “What did they get in return?”
General: “A little formula that weakens the DNA of insects, allowing them to be bred for weaponization.”
Sister: “So you knew all along?”
General: “Knew? Who do you think was funding the project?”
Sheriff: “Well, what are you going to do now?”
General: “Our first priority is to ensure that none of these escape.”
Sister: “You’re going to nuke the town! You can’t!”
General: “Of course we’re not going to drop a nuke on American soil. Can you imagine the PR nightmare that would be?”
Sheriff: “Oh thank God.”
General: “We’re using napalm.”
Sheriff: “What!?!?”
General: “Well, we’re napalming the surrounding area. We’re dropping a daisy-cutter on
the actual field.”
Sister: “There are people there!”
General: “And we’ll give them as much time to leave as we can. But time is of the essence.”
Sheriff: “How long do I have to get them out?”
General: “Well, according to our cartoonishly large countdown clock on the wall, about an hour.


Ridge ¼-mile away from field
SpecOps soldier 1 (holding laser designator): “It just doesn’t seem right.”
SpecOps soldier 2: “I know, targeting American citizens. On American soil, no less.”
SpecOps soldier 1: “Yeah, at least the president has the decency to snuff US citizens in foreign countries.”
General (on radio): “We have confirmed reports that the persons inhabiting the target area have formally renounced their citizenship in protest.”
SpecOps soldier 2: “Shiny, let’s kill hippies.”


Field
Hippie 1: “Hell, no! We won’t go!”
Hippie 2: “You can’t kill us all!”
Hippie 3: “Give peace a chance!”
Hippie 4: “Drop acid, not bombs.”
Hippie 5: “Hey, hey, LBJ! How many kids did you kill today?”
Hippie 1: “Huh?”
Hippie 2: “Oh, never mind him. He’s just old-school hippie. He shows up to every protest he can.”
Hippie 3: “Um, Hippie 6, Vietnam’s been over for a while.”
Hippie 5: “So I can finally take a shower?”
Hippie 1: “That, and you could use a new slogan.”
Hippie 5: “Shoot drugs, not bugs?”
Hippie 1: “I like.”
Corn stalks rustle behind picket line.
Hippie 3: “What was that?”
Spanthoppers burst from field, devouring hippies like airborne piranhas before moving on toward the town.
A few who fed on Hippie 5 stumble glassy-eyed in other directions.


Center of town
Sister: “We gotta get everyone out of here!”
Sheriff: “Alright, people, we need to get every truck, jeep, APC, and anything else with wheels or tracks out of the absurdly well-stocked armory.”
Cargo plane flies overhead.
Sheriff: “Come on forks, let’s saddle up!”


Cockpit of cargo plane.
Pilot: “We’re near the drop zone! Arm it!”
Technician: “Armed!”
Pilot: “Prepare to drop on 5, 4,”
Camera to wing as spanthoppers get sucked in to engine.


Center of town
In distance, cargo plane goes down
Sheriff: “It didn’t go off.”
Widow: “Let me into that Sherman.”
Sheriff: “What are you going to do?”
Widow: “I'm gonna set off that bomb!”
Sheriff: “How would you even know how to do that?”
Widow: “I worked on the BLU-82 line during ‘Nam.”
Sister: “That seems awfully convenient.”
Widow: “Plus, I'll draw them off. Give you more time to get everyone out of here.”
Sheriff: “But you’ll be killed!”
Widow: “Well, with my husband gone and the farm repossessed, I ain’t got much to live for anymore, do I?”
Widow gets into tank. Camera pulls back as she drives off. As she nears edge of town, the swarm of Spanthoppers changes course to follow her.
Sister: “Why'd you let her go?”
Sheriff: “Let's just not let her die for nothing. Let's move folks!”


Field
Tank bursts into view, plowing through corn. Spanthoppers cover entire body.
Widow: “Ahhhhh!!!”
Tank arrives at plane. Widow jumps out. Spanthoppers descend on her, tearing at her as she stumbles up the cargo ramp. She falls to the deck just short of the bomb, but crawls the last few inches, stretching dramatically to the handy manual detonation switch in the form of a big red flashing button.
Widow: “Die, you ba---“


Hill overlooking town
Crowd of people look towards town. Mushroom cloud appears in field.
Sister: “Do you think she got them all?”
Sheriff: “I doubt it.”
Napalm ignites, obliterating town in an amazing demonstration of bad CGI.
Sheriff: “That, on the other hand, may have done the trick.”
Sister: “No. They’ll never be gone. Never.”
Sister bursts into tears. Sheriff hugs her.
Sheriff: “It’s okay. There’s nothing here for us anymore. We’ll move far away.”
Sister: “We?”
Sheriff: “We.”
Sister: “And if they find us?”
Sheriff goes to large truck and pulls back cover, revealing most of the well-stocked armory.
Sheriff: “We’ll be ready.”



Stay tuned for the next episode, Spants IV: Spermite.

No comments:

Post a Comment