Sunday, January 20, 2013

Well, that was exciting.

Looking forward to a nice Sunday dinner of fall-apart chicken and loaded mashed potatoes, I put the potato chunks on to boil and adjourn to the bedroom to fold some whites.  

The whites till aren't folded.

They aren't folded, because the smoke detector quickly sounded.  I trotted off to the kitchen to silence it, wondering how on earth a pot of potatoes could possibly put off enough steam in 3 minutes to set off a smoke detector.

Answer:  it can't.

What can set off a smoke detector in 3 minutes is turning on the wrong burner.  The one under the dog bowl.  Also known as the one next to the tote of clean baby dishes.  A number of thoughts crossed my mind.

1)  Where's a pot lid?

2)  That's not a pot.

3)  That's too big for baking soda.



As a prepper (of the CDC/FEMA variety, not the "UN's coming to get me" variety), I of course have smoke detectors in every room and fire extinguishers in all high-risk areas.  Using a fire extinguisher has been on my bucket list for years.  I was rather disappointed a week ago when I missed a chance at work.  It has been crossed off my bucket list.

I have never understood fire extinguisher training.  I still don't.  The things are about idiot proof.  I sprayed the fire liberally, then remembered that it was a single-use dry chemical extinguisher, which made me wonder if it works if you squeeze it twice.  That curiosity (combined with the fact that it really was quite fun) and the handy excuse that I couldn't be quite sure it was all the way out led me to give it an extra squeeze.  It does, in fact, work twice.





"In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets. I mean, one more clean shot to the head, and this lady could have avoided becoming a human Happy Meal." - Columbus

Having been there, done that, now,  I feel qualified to deliver four points of advice:

1)  Have smoke detectors.

2)  Have fire extinguishers.

3)  Check batteries and pressure regularly.

4)  Spring for CO2.  Cleaning powder is a pain, and I will be coughing up mica and calcium stearate dust for a good week.

And remember, kids, anything worth spraying is worth spraying twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment