Sunday, March 7, 2021

Kidney stone 1

Thanks to a childhood spent rehabbing houses for the state of Tennessee with a crew that believed OSHA regs were something to be laughed at, I accumulated some significant potential asbestos exposure.  As a result, I started getting screening imaging about 5 years ago.  While going over my first CT with the radiologist (joys of small-town medicine), he pointed out a bright spot in the lowest slice,which had picked up the top of my kidney.  He assured me that I could go my whole life with it lodged in there, never causing any problems.

    On the CT I had yesterday in the local ER, that spot is no longer there.

    Supposedly, I'm in the worst part.  The stone is located at the junction between the ureter and the bladder.  Once it pops into the bladder, I should have relief (until the last leg, which I'm told isn't as bad).  It's going to pop through any minute now.

    Any.  Minute.  Now.

    In the meantime (16ish hours at this point), I'm getting 30-60 minutes of dull ache between 10-20 minute episodes of curl-in-a-ball, pray-and-swear, try-not-to-puke-up-the-pain-meds pain.  It's like taking the worst balls shot of my life every 30-90 minutes.

    And on the downside of small-town medicine, there's no 24-hour pharmacy, so I'm stuck with a "starter pack" of 6 Norcos to last until Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment